• Provides over 200 performance and concert opportunities, 17 instrumental ensembles, 6 vocal ensembles, and student solo and studio recital series.
• Is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. UMass Amherst is accredited by the New England Association of Universities and Colleges.
• Includes: 240 undergraduate and 75 graduate students.
• Offers the following degrees: Bachelor of Arts in Music; Bachelor of Music in Jazz, Music Education, History, Performance, or Theory/Composition; Master of Music in Jazz, Music Education, Musicology, Performance, or Accompanying; and Doctor of Philosophy in Music Theory or Music Education.
• Is housed in the Fine Arts Center. Separate wings of the Center incorporate exhibition and performing areas, academic space for the Departments of Art, Theater and Music, including Music Department classrooms, practice rooms, studios, offices and a music library reserve center.
• Presents performances in the 2,000-seat Concert Hall, the 200-seat Bezanson Recital Hall (both in the Fine Arts Center complex), and Bowker Auditorium, a 700-seat facility located in Stockbridge Hall.
• Utilizes UMass Amherst's library system which includes music and dance-related books (20,000), scores (18,000), periodical subscriptions (100), recordings (21,000), and a variety of electronic resources, located in the W.E.B. Du Bois Library and a smaller Music Reserve Lab in the Music wing of the Fine Arts Center.
• Participates in the Five College system; courses can be taken, at no extra cost, at Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith Colleges, which are linked by a free bus system. Music students may participate in special performances such as the Five College Choral and Jazz Festivals. Link to Five College Music website.
• Is home to Jazz in July , a two-week Fine Arts Center summer program which has many of the same jazz faculty as the Department of Music & Dance. To learn more, please see the Jazz in July website.
Be the first to know and let us send you an email when UMass Amherst Department of Music and Dance posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.