06/25/2026
Throwback to 1906...
The Harvard Law School Library is located within Langdell Hall, which was commissioned in 1905. For this rendering, D.A. Gregg, an architectural draftsman well-known for his pen and ink drawings, used graphite and watercolor on paper. It is signed in purple watercolor in the lower right (between the sidewalks). This rendering differs from what was constructed.
When the Law School outgrew Austin Hall, Dean James Barr Ames engaged the architects Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge in 1905 to design a new building that would contain classrooms, faculty offices, and the library. The new building, the southern portion of the present Langdell Hall, was partially occupied in 1907 and fully occupied in 1908. Shepley, Rutan and Bulfinch proposed a design that was larger than what was actually built and closer to the post 1929 Langdell Hall.
In 1929, the northern and western portions of the building were completed under the direction of Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch and Abbott. In 1997, Langdell Hall was completely renovated under the direction of Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott., Materials/techniques: Graphite and watercolor on paper.
Citation: Langdell Hall architectural rendering by D.A. Gregg, 1906? HOLLIS olvwork720033, Harvard Law School Library, Historical & Special Collections